When I think about a drink I would enjoy on vacation I think of coconut (looking at you, Pina Colada) or a good ol’ margarita. This Coconut Margarita combines both in one delicious tropical cocktail. With its creamy texture and tropical flavor, you will feel like you’re on vacation whenever you enjoy one of these coconut margaritas!
The classic Margarita is hard to beat, made with homemade sweet and sour mix, but sometimes you need to change it up a bit. Pairing lime and tequila with creamy coconut is an intriguing contrast of flavors that is a pure delight. We love trying all different kinds of margaritas and this one is definitely a favorite. With just four ingredients, it’s easy to mix up at home and sip whenever the sun is shining (or you want to pretend it is!)
How to make a Coconut Margarita
- First, prepare your glasses. Using a lime, run it around the rim of your glass. Dip in the toasted coconut.
- Fill a cocktail shaker with ice and pour in all of the ingredients. Don’t have a cocktail shaker? Use a mason jar with lid.
- Shake well to combine.
- Fill the prepared glasses with ice and pour from the shaker into the glasses.
- Garnish with a lime wedge and enjoy!
This recipe is for two cocktails and can be easily multiplied to make a pitcher of margaritas. To a pitcher with a few handfuls of ice, add the ingredients below and stir well to combine. Pour into glasses garnished with toasted coconut and enjoy! This will give you six cocktails.
- 1 cup (plus 2 tablespoons, so a heavy 1 cup pour) Silver Tequila
- 3/4 cup cream of coconut
- 1/3 cup triple sec
- 1/3 cup lime juice
There are great tequilas at every price point. The key is to look for something that is 100% agave. Milagro Silver is our recommendation for a good mid-level tequila that is 100% agave and absolutely delicious.
Triple sec is an orange-flavored liqueur that is a staple in most margarita recipes. Cointreau is a higher end version that also works well.
What is Cream of Coconut
A sweetened coconut cream similar in consistency to a thick syrup. It is also used in this Key Lime Martini. This is different than coconut cream, a heavy cream made from coconut milk, so make sure to double check you have the correct one for this recipe.
How to Toast Coconut
Glasses rimmed with toasted coconut make the drink extra festive AND delicious, and best of all it’s easy to do and can be stored in your pantry for ages. This post gives more details.
- Spread 1 cup of shredded coconut on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until the coconut begins to turn golden brown.
- Toss it half way through, redistributing it.
- Cool and it is ready to use!
Prep: 4 minutes
Total: 4 minutes
This creamy Coconut Margarita pairs lime and tequila with coconut in an intriguing contrast of flavors that is a pure delight.
- 3 ounces Tequila
- 2 ounces Cream of Coconut
- 1 ounce Triple Sec
- 1 ounce Lime Juice
- toasted coconut
Using a lime wet the rim of your glass. Dip in the toasted coconut.
Fill a shaker with ice, pour in all of the ingredients.
Fill the glasses with ice, pour from the shaker into the glasses.
Garnish and enjoy!