A refreshing and Italian spin on the classic margarita, this Italian Margarita recipe is light and perfectly sweet. It features the signature almond flavor of Amaretto creating a unique margarita that is balanced and smooth. Made with just four ingredients and minimal preparation required, this boozy cocktail and its Italian vibe will become a favorite.
There is no arguing that the original Margarita is a tried and true staple, but this spritzy spin is the perfect addition to your citrusy cocktail toolkit. Using fresh citrus juices to compliment the sweet almond flavoring of the amaretto, it will be hard to stop at just one of these cocktails. Added bonus: no other mixes or additives are needed!
Italian Margarita Ingredients
Italian Margaritas come together easily with just four staple bar ingredients. Gathering the following:
- Tequila: The star of all margaritas. See below for more information on tequila recommendations.
- Amaretto: An Italian liqueur that is both sweet and slightly bitter, also used in this French Connection or classic Amaretto Sour recipe. Make your own using this easy homemade Amaretto recipe.
- Lime juice: Freshly squeezed is best for any cocktail, the freshness is worth it.
- Orange juice: Freshly squeezed orange juice is ideal for this recipe, you truly can taste the difference. However, I know that convenience trumps flavor at times so storebought is fine as well.
For any good margarita, a good quality tequila is important. You can use any mid-level tequila that you like the flavor of for this recipe, however, we do recommend using one that is 100% agave. Milagro Silver is a delicious mid-level tequila that is 100% agave.
How to Make an Italian Margarita
This is a brief summary of how easy it is to shake up Italian Margaritas. For the full recipe and measurements, see the recipe card at the bottom of the page.
- Combine all ingredients in a shaker filled with ice.
- Shake well.
- Pour into an ice-filled glass that has been rimmed with salt.
- Garnish and enjoy!
How to Salt a Rim
It is important to prepare your glass before making your margarita. To salt the rim of your glass, run a lime wedge with a notch around the top of your glass. Then, put a thin layer of salt on a shallow plate and roll the top of your glass through the salt.
How to Serve Italian Margaritas
Serve in a salt-rimmed glass filled with ice. Garnish with an orange slice or lime.
Other Amaretto Cocktail Recipes
If you make these Italian Margaritas or any other Shake Drink Repeat recipes, please leave a comment and let us know what you think!
Prep: 3 minutes
Total: 3 minutes
A refreshing spin on the classic Margarita, this Italian Margarita recipe is light, smooth, and perfectly sweet.
- 2 ounces tequila
- 1 1/2 ounces amaretto
- 1 ounce lime juice
- 1 ounce orange juice